Friday, November 7, 2008

BEWARE - VERY SOPHISTICATED WAY TO CHEAT YOU

I have not verified this story yet. Anyway, I think that it is an interesting scheme to be aware of even if it is not a true story.
================================================================================

From My InBox:

I want to let you all know that Frank and I have been the victims of

credit card fraud this week and felt I should warn you all about the

clever scam. It works like this:

Last Wednesday I had a phone call late morning from Express Couriers to

ask if I was going to be home as he had a delivery for me. He said he

would there in roughly an hour. He turned up with a beautiful basket of

flowers and wine. I expressed my surprise as I wasn't expecting anything

like this and said I was intrigued to know who was sending me such a

lovely gift. He said he was only delivering the gift and the card was

being sent separately (the card has never arrived). There was a

consignment note with the gift.

He went on to explain that because the gift contained alcohol he has to

charge the recipient $3.50 as proof that he has actually delivered to an

adult, and not left it on a door step if the recipient is out, to be

stolen or taken by children. This seemed logical and I offered to get

the cash. He then said that the company required the payment to be by

Eftpos so he's not handling cash and everything is properly accounted

for. Frank was there and got his credit card and 'John' swiped the card

on this small mobile machine that also had a small screen upon which

Frank entered in his pin number. A receipt was printed out and given to

us.

Between last Thursday and Monday $4,000 was withdrawn from our credit

account at ATM machines in the north shore area. It appears a dummy

credit card was made using the details in the machine and of course,

they had Frank's pin number.

The Bank has stopped our cards and I've been to the Police this morning,

where they confirmed that it is a definite scam and many households were

hit during the first 3 days of October.

So PLEASE be wary of accepting a gift you're not expecting especially if

the card is not with it. We've all received gifts like this and would

never dream that it could be such a despicable act. Please also let

other female friends and relatives know. Hopefully, these fraudsters

have ceased this activity by now but you never know. I wanted to warn

all my friends.

Gina



P.S. I don't think I'll ever drink the wine - I'd probably choke on it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My mom just sent this one to me too. I can't tell who sent the original. Maybe this will help you track down the originator. My version was prefaced with the following: -------------- Forwarded Message: --------------
> Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 23:45:09 -0800
>
> Dear ALL
>
> This happened to our friend who lives in North Vancouver, thought to let you all
> know. Especially now that it is near to Christmas so getting gift is not
> uncommon.