Wednesday, October 29, 2008

What's in a street name?

I cannot remember all the street names in Malacca where I was raised but I am very sure that they used to bear many foreign names. They were names of individuals who have made an impression there during that time but have now been forgotten.

Those street names if retained could have been the "strings" that bond us to their descendants in their own homeland and would likely draw them to pay Malacca a visit. That is good for the tourism industry, don't you think so?

So, what's in a street name to you? Would it bother you if the relevant councilors rename the one near where you stay? Here are my views.

A Street Name
View SlideShare presentation or Upload your own. (tags: mission street)


As for the Jalan Alor name change saga I wrote about earlier, the decision has been made not to change the name after all.

So, now you know! You have a say in road naming.

No comments: