Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Poetry or sword? What do you want to create?

"What do you call a person who writes rows and rows of words, Mummy?" Hmmm, who could my little boy be referring to? "Are you talking about a poet?", I wondered.

My son ran off happily with my answer and left me thinking of a question that I would like to know the answer myself; that is, what do I call a person who writes or uses angry words. Here is my reflection.

While poets writes beautiful words to inspire
In moments of anger people instigate
Fights can erupt
Crimes are committed

While a string of beautiful words are poetry
A string of angry words is a S W O R D
Like a thrusting piece of metal
The words can cut and hurt as deeply

Cuts from a glistening sword
Can heal with care
A scar stays to remind
the depth...the pain -

Can an expression of remorse
heal wounds that fester in the heart?
You will soon know
In the next moment of anger

I am not going to guess and get my answers wrong where emotions are concerned. With the help of my children, we have thought up of a way to cool us down in our moments of anger. I hope the recipe works for you too.

Anger Coolant

Ingredient A
Tone: Most TV inspired robotic sound you can create
Chant: "Please remain calm", repeatedly, like a spoiled record

Ingredient B (Optional)
Hand and knee movement: Slow up and down motion like in a Tai Chi exercise

Method

Face instigator and apply ingredient A and watch reaction. Keep adding ingredient A still instigator burst into laughter. Failing which, add ingredient B.

Check out the prop I created to remind my children to be mindful of their speech.

Also, note that it has been scientifically discovered that you cannot hold negative thoughts, stay angry or worry while you are smiling. When you smile, the brain releases a flood of endorphin-like chemicals along with a series of signals that make holding on to such emotions impossible.

So, instigate a smile and have a great day.

No comments: