Monday, May 12, 2008

How did one survive?

Watch this slide and you will start reminiscing about the way you live in the good old days. At least it got me.

I remember as a child growing up in Malacca, we always leave the gate and door to our home opened and neighbours and friends could just walked in when they wanted to visit us. I do not remember anyone ever calling ahead to ask if it was a good time to visit.

We lived with our grandparents together with the families of my uncles and aunties. During meal time, while the women in the house cooked, the younger children were dumped into a big, improvised from wooden pallet, play pan. One of the children could have urinated or excreted in it, but they will not be attended to till it was time to eat.

My mom likes to tell this story about my eldest sister as a child. While playing in the play pan one day, she excreted into her plate she was given to play with. When it was time to eat, my mom washed the plate and feed her with it! My sister is still around after that ordeal to be embarrassed by this tale.

================================================================================

No comments: