Thursday, July 31, 2008

My daughter donated 4080 grains of rice!

I wrote about Free Rice earlier. It is a place where you can encourage your children to learn new words playing a vocabulary game and feed hungry people in the process.

Not realising that my 8 years old daughter is up to it, I challenged her to play the FreeRice game when she requested for extra time to play her computer games. I told that if she could hit 800 grains of words correct, that is, getting 40 words defined correctly, I would allow her to play for 1 hour more.

I showed her how she could check up on the words with the help of a list of online dictionaries I have posted on DataBase4Kids. I went off to cook and came back later to see that she had hit 4000 grains and was still keen to carry on. She had to stop for lunch when she hit 4080. Oops! That means 5 hours more of computer games for her! Sorry, Callie, some adjustment had to be made.

When her brother came home from school, he was challenged to beat his sister on that score. I think that it is a great idea to be able to encourage your children to learn new words and do a good deed along the way, don't you?

In appreciation of FreeRice, I decided to create a presentation of what it is about.



Thank you, John Breen, for creating FreeRice.

1 comment:

Nancy Poh said...

I think that AIDtoCHILDREN.com is likely a scam. I did a check on World Vision and did not see any write up supporting AIDtoCHILDREN.com. In fact, there is no report on it if you do a search on its international site.

I have done a research on FreeRice before I posted the presentation on it. A link to World Food Programme confirms that they do benefit from FreeRice.