Monday, July 14, 2008

Talk about the birds and the bees...

When I was younger, my friends seemed to be laughing about things that did not make sense to me. It was not that I did not have a good sense of humour then; I was just downright clueless about sex.

Birds & The Bees - Threadless, Best T-shirts Ever

How would I know about "the birds and the bees" when all my mom said was that I was picked up from a dustbin. So, what was the consequences of my ignorance?

No, I did not become a candidate for unwed motherhood but I was the perfect butt of the joke for my friends. And as a result of that experience, I do not tell vague stories about "the birds and the bees" to my children. I try my best to tell them as clearly as their young minds could understand, whenever they asked me anything related to this subject.

"Sex" is no longer an easy topic to avoid since you can hear insinuations of it in songs or catch the "act" on TV, in movies and even in advertisements.



Moreover, sexuality is so publicly full blown in the way people dress these days.

I would rather my children feel comfortable about talking to me about it then to seek answers at the wrong places. So, I am keeping myself armed with some useful websites that I can turn to if I am stuck for the right way to answer them.

Fact sheets - A to Z

Sex education - primary school children

Talking with your kids about sex

Parents' Sex Ed Center - Advocates for Youth

One day if they think that they are old enough to have casual sex, I will direct them to take a look at "A letter from an unborn child".

I will be on a look out for websites my children can go to if they want to understand about their bodies and sexuality on their own. Here is one that will appeal to them when they are older:

Sex Education by Teens, for Teens!

Sex Terms

Comix and Quizzes

Sexuality and U

No comments: