Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mind Your Language - For Indians

Check out these useful tips for communication with American or foreign clients by Priyanhere on SlideShare.



I remember Malaysia used to be one of the top English speakers in Asia. That changed when the government started using our National Language, Bahasa, as a medium to teach after gaining our independence from the British.

In 2003, the government decided that mathematics and science should be taught in English and worked on it under a multi-million dollar four-year project run by the Malaysian government and Melbourne's Deakin University. This is to help Malaysians catch up with information technology which was not possible due to lack of vocabulary for information communication technology (ICT) terms in Bahasa.

Then the report came in; the Malay students are not performing well over the other races in Malaysia. So, now there are talks about reverting to teaching maths and science in our national language again. If my government go ahead with that decision, how do you think I will feel about it?

Let me tell you. I feel like a step-daughter in a fairy tale. My step-mother is not going to give me the best in anything. She will clip my wings so that I cannot soar higher than my step-sisters. Then when she needs expertise help, that I would otherwise have been able to provide through proper training, she would seek it globally and pay the price for it, most willingly.

My step-mother will forever dwell in this fairy tale land if she continues to believe that it is possible for all her daughters to be winners in everything they venture in. If this is true, there would be more successful people in this world, right?

So, now you know why I need to keep this copy of "Mind Your Language - For Indians" presentation. I may need a place to seek revision in English since my country has decided not to re-develop our former strength in this international language.

If you like that presentation, then like me, you should also appreciate this Business Dictionary.

2 comments:

Brian Barker said...

Then why not a non-national language to solve the global language problem?

An interesting video can be seen at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8837438938991452670

Otherwise perhaps http://www.lernu.net

Nancy Poh said...

Thanks for posting a possible solution. I have written about it.