Monday, June 30, 2008

Know your Computer

TMNet said nothing was wrong their end. So, what else could be wrong if your internet connection is down?

I checked the lights to my modem and noticed that only the button indicating that the power is on was lighted up. We just had a bad thunder storm and I did not pull off the telephone line connected to the modem in time.

I took my modem to my neighbourhood computer shop, TYM Computer, and the owner Mr Foong, confirmed that my modem was out of service. I had called TMNet earlier and the technical staff there had advised that though it was offered free with my internet connection, there was no warranty for faults. To get another unit from them would have cost me RM160.00.

So, based on advises that I had received from my neighbourhood committee, I opt to go for an Aztech modem as its warranty includes damage caused by lightning strike. It was a unit also recommended by Mr Foong and it cost me RM95.00.

I discovered from Mrs Foong that the company have given away computers left by owners, who had bought new from them, to orphanage and such, after servicing them. I decided to leave my broken modem with them, just in case they could salvage some useful stuff out of it.

When my new modem also failed to get me connected, I was told to bring it back to the shop with my CPU. The verdict? The network card was also affected by the lightning. I thought it would cost me a bomb to install an Ethernet port and new card and that I will not have my computer back the same day but I got it back within 15 minutes and was charged RM28.00 for parts and service.

Brought my CPU and new wares happily home, looking forward to get connected and blog again but I couldn't! This time it was the monitor. So, Mr Foong, here we go again. What's up with this?

He changed my connector and charged RM5.00 for it and that's it, my system is fully working finally. And on his advise, I also placed my CPU on my table instead of placing it on the floor because it is more likely to be affected by dust particles.

My husband and I were so happy with his services that we took up a computer package he promoted for our son. I also learned from him that I do not need another USB port installed on my CPU. All I need is a USB hub which provides me 4 connections.



I guess going to a computer shop for technical assistance is like going to an auto shop to have your car checked and you wonder what $urpri$e$ the repairman will drop into your lap.

I think it is time for me to know more about my computer hardware since I drive it daily and I should not have any problem catching up with these links I have discovered:

What's All That Networking Stuff Called? and What's All That Computer Stuff Called? from The Morehouse College InfoTech Department which also provides many useful electronic information.

Computer jargon explained by Jon Storm.

What Is glossary of computer terms and learning resources.

Glossary of Acronyms for PC and Server Technologies by Microsoft.

Know your Computer Hardware Terms, Glossary and Dictionary

2 comments:

nathans said...

Knowing your computer better is always good because there are so many substantial products available in the market.So i would advice everyone who is keen to have some information about there own computers that they should go and have a good look to the glossary of computer terms. I am sure that this site is going to help them.

Nancy Poh said...

Thanks for sharing that, Nathans.